USES FOR WICKING BOXES
They are ideal for:
. busy people who can only garden in weekends
. people with small gardens
. people in units with balconies or
. people living on steep slopes or rocky soils.
They are also great to:
· grow crops off the ground to avoid kneeling
· avoid snails
· grow one or two plants only such as herbs
· restrain crops which tend to spread and take over
such as garlic chives.
Any structure or box that is 30 - 45 cm high and holds water will do.
(And if it leaks, you can always line it with a piece of black plastic
up to the level of the overflow. Or paint it with water)
In addition to the box you need:
· a piece of 90 mm PVC drain pipe as long as the inside
length of the box, to act as reservoir.
· a 500 mm length of 40 or 50 mm PVC for the fill pipe,
· duct tape to close one side of the 90 mm pipe,
· 3 buckets of good soil or potting mix, or a mixture of sand,
clay and loam with at least 50% sand,
· organic mineral supplement1),
· compost, well-rotted plant materials, bio-char, or wormcast,
· seedlings or seeds.
1) Minerals Look for a mineral supplement that contains
Phosphorous, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Sulphur,
Silicon, Carbon, Manganese, Copper, Zinc, Molybdenum, Boron and
PROTECTION AGAINST BIRDS AND